New Year's Resolutions

Ok, so I have decided to run a marathon. This is a plan I actually concocted 2 months ago, but since I have managed to stick with the training program, I guess I will make it an official resolution now. Matt and Ben are going to do this with me, you can check our progress here.

I got inspired by my sister really, who not only completed the 2007 San Francisco Women's Marathon, but managed to raise a couple thousand dollars for leukemia research in the process. My sister and I both were never really very gifted athletes, both of us grew up slightly chubby in typical American style and both of us realized the benefits of exercise somewhat later in life. So if she can do it, I can do it. I have also received regular encouragement by participating in the Metafilter monthly running challenges.

I have always enjoyed running short distances. It's a fairly efficient work out for someone who doesn't have a lot of free time and it allows me to listen to loud punk rock music without anyone interrupting me. But I have never attempted longer distances, probably my longest previous run is about 4 miles. After two months of training though, I completed 9 miles yesterday, no stopping, no serious injuries (unlike Ben). It is so amazing to me that somehow I was able to actually do this. I never imagined it possible and I still have doubts that I will be able to stick with this without something getting in the way.

So assuming no injuries, we'll be running the 2008 Vancouver Marathon in May.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shifting the demand curve: the microeconomics of low barrier buprenorphine treatment.

The Invisible Work

Transitions...